In looking back at where I started my project with my group I could not be happier with the results. By taking a collection of 118 political cartoons that had no common theme to them and building a digital archive, we as a group made sense of the collection. With a collection that ranges nearly a century it was difficult to put these into set groups. I applaud our collaborative effort in this endeavor as we were able to group these cartoons into general categories.

In terms of whether we completed our contract, I feel that we did to the best of our abilities. Our contract was largely built on individual work as the collection was so large. When we subdivide the cartoons and we each got our own sections we each carried out our responsibilities. First, we uploaded all of the cartoons to the website and subsequently labeled them with the information provided by the museum. The next part of our task was more challenging as we had to research each of the individual cartoons and write content labels. Writing the content labels was one of the most challenging parts of the process for me as certain cartoons were filled with obscure references that required deep, hard finding evidence. The difficulties of the content labels at times lead us to not strictly adhere to the timeline of the contract, but we persevered.  In building the exhibits, while some an obviously better than others, the way we presented out material in different ways definitely fulfills the terms of our contract.

The skills I have gained from taking this course are ones that will undoubtedly serve me in my career after college. With substantial knowledge of how to use wordpress and omeka, I now find myself more comfortable with the idea of web design. Even though it wasn’t a lot of learning, but now I know a certain degree of html coding which is something I never thought I would learn. I do wish I could have learned more about plug-in and their complexities.

I would like to make a special not e and thank my group for all of the help they have given me over the course of the semester. They were very understanding of the fact that I was completing my 485 and my attention was at times divided between the two courses. I worked hard to make sure I was pulling my own weight for the project but appreciate the group for taking on some of the more difficult tasks.  Lastly I would like to thank Dr. McClurken for the opportunity to work on this project.